Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 13:36:36 -0400
From:      Planning & Construction <pcainc@planning-construction.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ftp installation

I'm trying my hardest to install FreeBSD over an anonymous FTP but it
always quits at the same place (doesn't lock up or anything, just keep
reading).

I made the boot disk correctly as far as I can tell. I booted off it
went through the kernel configuration, all my hardware was seen just
fine (except my AWE64, I can't remember what the deal was with it, but
it didn't seem like it was causing any problem). Anyway, after that the
installation went on and I pick "All" for what to install, "Anonymous
FTP" for installation and chose "www6.freebsd.org" for the server (I'm
pretty sure that's the one in Indiana and that's fairly close to me)

>From what I remember next was the network configuration, and I think
this is where I need help. Filling out that form to my best abilities
(name server, domain, ip address(local?), netmask, etc...) I did manage
to get over to VTY3 and dial out and logon, etc... there I was given the
option to start a PPP session so I did, nothing much happened so I
ALT-F1'ed over to the installation and got a message that
www6.freebsd.org couldn't be found and then my modem disconnected
itself.

I've got a feeling that my network configuration entries aren't correct,
so my questions are:
1) What answers are absolutely necessary to the installation?
2) If I don't know the answers where can I find them (a FreeBSD
installation utility that tells me my IP address, my ISP's web site for
domain, etc...) ?
3) What do I need to accomplish in the terminal?
4) Anything else that I might need to know.

I looked on the web site and some of what was there sounded like what
was happening to me but I wanted to make sure I had this part right
before going on.

FYI: My ISP is MCI at "campus.mci.net" so I put 'capmus.mci.net' for the
DNS and '.mci.net' for the domain but I'm not sure whether that's
actually the real info (I'm almost sure its not (I do have a descent
knowledge of networks, just not enough)) or even what the installation
is asking for.

Sorry about the length of this entry and thank you for your time.
I'm excited about getting this up and going so haste would be
appreciated.

-Najati Imam

-email me at:

pcainc@planning-construction.com