Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:51:39 +1000
From:      Joe Shevland <joe.shevland@horizonti.com>
To:        Rasmus Kaj <kaj@interbizz.se>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: AppletContext.showDocument(URL, String)

Rasmus Kaj wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Is there a way to tell applet viewer what to do with calls to
> AppletContext.showDocument in the applet viewer? In a browser it's
> straightforward, but in an applet viewer we need to tell a browser to
> fetch and show the URL (e.g. via Netscape 'remote-control').
>
> In case there is a way, this is a query for how-do-I-use-it, otherwise
> it's a request to add such a feature ... The documentation for
> jdk-1.1.6 seems to say that such a feature is at least intended:
>
> -- snip --
>  public abstract void showDocument(URL url,
>                                    String target)
>
>     Requests that the browser or applet viewer show the Web page
>     indicated by the url argument. The target argument indicates in
>     which HTML frame the document is to be displayed. The target
>     argument is interpreted as follows:
> -- snip --
>
> This sounds like a problem that need to be solved 'natively' (i.e. not
> in the part of the API that is written in java) ...
>
> // Rasmus

The showDocument method doesn't make sense in the appletviewer context; the
appletviewer is only for running the first <APPLET></APPLET> tag within a
given HTML page (i.e. doesn't display anything else). The reference to HTML
frames above means you can specify the new document to appear in a new
window, the current window and also special contexts like #top etc...

As to the remote control thing, did you want to control Netscape from the
appletviewer? Sounds odd, but I guess you could implement a shared library
under FBSD and use the Java Native Interface to call a trivial piece of C
code that fires up Netscape. Hope this was relevant.