Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 08:12:38 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        jerryk@iquest.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail on a firewall box

> This is probably a loaded question and I'd bet that I'll get responses
> on both sides but I'm going to ask this question anyway:
>
>   1) is it a major security hole to run sendmail on a firewall box?
>
> Okay, there, I said it. In the economy of a small business, it is not
> always practical to have several servers providing services such as
> firewalling and mail hosting. So, for my business, I want to set up a
> FreeBSD box to act as the Internet access point and provide things like
> DNS, mail hosting, NTP, and firewalling. I really don't have the dollars
> to build a separate box for the firewall although I know that security
> purists will frown and make some comments that security isn't cheap
> anyway.
>
> I just want one box that provides the services to my small LAN. I want
> that box to be the mail host for my company and also provide a
> firewall/proxy service.

Sounds like you should buy a Whistle Interjet :-) (www.whistle.com)

Anyway, given sendmail past history I'd feel very uncomfortable with
sendmail in any sort of security-related function. Why don't you look
at qmail (www.qmail.org) instead? This was written with security in
mind.

I hope by "Internet access point" you don't mean for users to actually
login to the firewall box? This is generally considered a bad idea.