Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 17:16:48 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FXTV and DGA

Scott

> This may be a dumb suggestion (I don't use fxtv so I have no idea if
> this will work or not), but couldn't the driver be made into an LKM?

Funny you should mention it, but Amancio, Randall and later myself
talked about this around 8 months ago.

The problem was basically this.
You need to allocate configuous memory for the frame buffer.

At boot time, this is easy. Memory is empty and you can allocate
a 864k block of memory with no gaps in it.
However, I was told that by the time the system has booted,
and the LKM executed, there is quite possible you cannot get a
contiguous block of memory as the memory is fragmented.

Basically, you need a memeory manager that can shift memory blocks
around making a large space.

I was told the current memory management code cannot do this.

But if we could do it, then the LKM would be great.

Bye
Roger

Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde Uni Telepresence Group