Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:16:06 -0700
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        info@boatbooks.com
Subject:   Free BSD file system

I'm new to FreeBSD and UNIX in general, so forgive me if I'm asking some
elementary questions.

Regarding the FreeBSD filesystem, what is the equivalent of a "cluster"
in the DOS world? That is, if I have tiny files, how much disk space do
they actually occupy? My experiments suggest 1k, but I'm confused by
references to 512-byte blocks in various places. Is this "cluster" size
independent of disk or partition size?

I have a situation that involves storing the better part of a million
small (700 bytes to 1.9 kbytes) files (don't ask!). From a filesystem
efficiency point of view, what is a practical maximum number of files per
directory? How many directories can you have under one directory?

Where is this kind of thing documented? I have scanned "The Complete
FreeBSD" book, and have searched the online docs without success.

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna