Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 17:47:52 -0700
From:      Robert Clark <Clark@open.org>
To:        VIANNE1@hofstra.edu
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What Do I Need To Know?

Beware: Something so good as FreeBSD surely has a darker side.

You may find yourself collecting old crufty hardware, beacause after
all, FreeBSD will run quite well on it.

You may have an uncontrollable desire to say bad things about Bill
Gates.

You may become known to your co-workers as "that UNIX guy/gal".

You may have an unspoken understanding of why SCSI is so much better
than IDE. (One you just can't put into words.)

You may be puzzled why you're playing with fetchmail & ijppp at four in
the morning, and are happy about it.

You may feel jelous of people who answer more question on
freebsd-questions than you do.

You may begin to crave SCSI tapedrives.

O'reilly's sendmail book may become fun reading.

You may loose all respect for the masses who mistakenly call Windows an
operating system.

When you go to help the DOS users, you'll probably use the forward slash
when you mean the back slash. You'll use "ls" when you mean "dir".
You'll use "cp" when you mean "copy". They'll laugh at you. You'll wish
they had "vi".

You may find building webservers laughably easy.

You will find it very difficult to convince your Linux running buddies
that they should try FreeBSD. If they're fumbling newbies, take them a
CD of FreeBSD. Be helpful, show them how east it is to install FreeBSD.
They'll be hooked. Remember: They only picked Linux because it was at
the bookstore.

Make sure to point them at this list. You won't want to answer all of
their questions yourself. Share that with us, some of our cases are
advanced, we're hooked.

If you really go off the deep end, and start writing code, remember, I
warned you!

[RC]