Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 00:53:02 -0400
From:      kriston@ibm.net (Kriston J. Rehberg)
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD A Solution For Business

Mark Diekhans writes:

>  o A port of Netscape enterprise server would be a plus.  Apache is
>    good, but there is a perceived need for a threaded server for
>    scalability.  Maybe more preception than reality.

With just user-level threads, this isn't going to buy you much.  But
that's okay because almost nobody buys multiprocessor Pentium systems
at this moment, so you'll get efficient use of resources in the web
server process.  That will change and it would help to have
kernel-level threads to take advantage of the extra processor(s) if
that web server were threaded; until then fork/exec is better for
multiprocessor systems -- at least the way I understand it.

Kris

--
Kriston J. Rehberg
AOL: Kriston                        http://kriston.net/