Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 2017 15:46:28 +0100
From:      Matthew Rezny <rezny@freebsd.org>
To:        Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov@gmail.com>
Cc:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org>, x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

--nextPart2479936.EY9xJr4QrW

On Wednesday 22 February 2017 14:36:36 Emil Velikov wrote:
> On 22 February 2017 at 12:08, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 12:00:58PM +0000, Emil Velikov wrote:
> >> Hi gents,
> >>

> >> My name is Emil Velikov and for a while I've been taking care of
> >> libdrm and Mesa.
> >>
> >> I can see that there is some activity on the above in FreeBSD so I'll
> >> kindly ask that you send [every and any] changes upstream ;-)
> >> Please try to keep different [logical] changes into separate patches
> >> and git send-email them to the mailing lists [1] [2].
> >>
> >> This includes [but not limited to] the prefix fix for drirc, \< and
> >> shebang workarounds in [3]. But also covers `sed s|x86_64|amd64|'
> >> "GNU_CONFIGURE = yes" and various USES [gmake, bison, python etc.]
> >>
> >> In a gist, things should just work:
> >>  - no need for gnumake - any POSIX make should work
> >>  - flex/bison/python/etc are not needed when building from tarballs
> >>
> >> If you need to patch and/or add _any_ workaround in your Makefile,
> >> please file a bug and let us/me know.
> >>

> >> Finally, I would like to invite you (maybe subscribe x11@FreeBSD.org
> >> ?) to the [4] list.
> >> It's very low volume and covers topics for maintainers' eyes. Most
> >> recent of which "pthread-stubs design is broken" [5].
> >
> > First thank you for contacting us.
> > Yes upstreaming as always been the plan. We still have to first make up
> > our mind on how we deal with the libudev dependency either through our
> > home baked equivalent or via a heavily modified libudev
>
> With Mesa 13.0.0 the triple libudev/sysfs/libdrm codepaths were
> merged. I've pulled a helper to libdrm to deal with that.
> Personally I'd suggest keeping all the chaos in there.

As of Mesa 13 we do let libdrm handle that (no more patches to Mesa for it),
but we are patching in support for libdevq, a minimal alternative to libudev.
Now that we also have libudev-devd, a partial implementation of libudev atop
devd, we need to reconsider libdevq's existence.

> For 17.0.0 we also removed the --with-sha1 'fun' heuristics. That and
> more can be found on the mesa-maintainers@ ;-)
>
> > In the meantime we can work on upstreaming all other parts :)
>
> Yes, please.

It has been my intent to upstream as much as possible, but I was trying to get
us caught up to current before doing so. No point in submitting a patch for a
section of code that may be gone in the next version after all. Differences in
build system is lower priority, top will be the patches that were required to
avoid compiler errors (several bits in clover did not compile on any version
of LLVM/Clang I tried without patching), which should be reviewed.