Date:      Fri, 06 Nov 1998 16:14:05 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NOT FreeBSD Branding project recommendations

"Jason C. Wells" wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> >Maybe we should just put up a web page, with an "add an application"
> >form for each list?
>
> I don't know. It looks like the input has tapered off. I did not even spur
> a flame when I asked people to get busy. You did say that (loosely) "When
> input tapers off I will collate the list and put it to a vote."

I don't think it's even had a chance to START.  Maybe I'm drastically
overestimating the size of -advocacy, but we've only had 6 or 7 replies
so far, and I'd hate to cut it off until after the weekend.  If the
reply rate doesn't pick up over the weekend, I'll summarize the results
and post them here.

In the meantime, I've got an hour or so this afternoon; I'll go try to
put our current list together and post it back, so others can (hopefully)
add to it in a neat, orderly manner.

> You have taken the lead. This may seem undemocratic. I propose to you that
> collate the list (of branding names at least) now put it to a vote and
> keep the current momentum.

Yeah, but reluctantly, and only because everyone else here has such a
proclivity to "tangetize."  If we ever want this discussion to go
somewhere, somebody has to keep kicking it back on track, and you're
the only help I've had.  Which, by the way, makes you the semi-official
deputy logo advocate.  Or is that vice-advocate?  ;^)

(Jim Pumpelly, my great friend and boss at GTE, would be ROTFL to hear
*me* accuse others of "tangetizing," he insists he made up the word to
describe me.  ;^)

> You can't please all of the people all of the time. This effort is unlike
> "-hackers" where people have technical reasons for doing things.

It is much like hackers in that nothing gets done unless somebody owns
the problem.  I came up with this idea, and have accepted ownership, and
will keep kicking and prodding and pushing, and will assume the lack of
loud opposition is the same as agreement.

Like it or not, this is the only way to run an anarchy.  ;^)

> This one effort can set a precedent for -advocacy. Once a precedent is
> established, the infrastructure is in place, then we can really make it
> happen.

Actually, we already set one a couple of months ago.  Daemon News.  This
is an attempt to do it again.  Last time I managed to get someone else
to pick up the reins and drive the cart, which has worked well because
I'm great at building carts and not so great at driving them.

This effort is going to require somebody to continue to babysit it after
the initial work is done, and so far YOU (Jason) are the prime victim,
er, candidate.  If you want to take over now, and just let me throw
suggestions, I would be ecstatic to have you take the lead.  OTOH, I'm
not going to drop this if somebody else doesn't come along, I've invested
too much effort and engergy over the last three weeks to let it fall on
the floor.

<PERSONAL ASIDE>
I need to get started on my next Daemon's Advocate column, and have a
VERY important holiday coming up.  I won't be doing any FreeBSD, BeOS,
work, or anything else over Thanksgiving weekend, and so need to have
my column done except for reviews before the 22nd.
</PERSONAL ASIDE>

As far as getting this kicked out the door goes, we certainly don't expect
this to be a closed list EVER.  Maybe the few applications we've got in
each category IS enough to start with.  It'll certainly make the initial
web page a lot easier to start.

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                      +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                   wes@softweyr.com