Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 1998 13:31:51 +0100
From:      "Holger.Lenz" <Holger.Lenz@m.dasa.de>
To:        Dirk Lutzebaeck <lutzeb@aeccom.com>
Cc:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Async negotiation (Was: 2.0.36/5.1.4 and BIOS settings)

Dirk Lutzebaeck wrote:
> Interesting that 5.1.4 doesnt care about the BIOS settings. I have
> also bus hang problems with my Seagate DAT. I suspect its because the
> u2w driver enables sync mode although async mode is set in the
> BIOS. The DAT FAQ says to always use async mode... Bummer.

I'm not so sure the driver isn't doing the RightThing(tm). The BIOS
setting says not to _inititiate_ the sync negotiation, but maybe
the target requests sync by itself (decent drives often have jumpers
to have them initiate sync negotiation by themselves). Maybe someone
very familiar with the SCSI spec could enlighten us here..
In any case, it would be nice to have a way to force async transfers
to get around those buggy peripheral pitfalls.
--
H.J. Lenz                                   Munich
Holger.Lenz@m.dasa.de                       Germany