Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:58:20 -0500
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@ics.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot kern.flp wedges -- now what?

Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> FreeBSD doesn't currently support the PC64, but support should not be
> difficult to add.  However, your system should be loading the
> bootblocks, loading the kernel, booting the kernel, and dying with a
> message like
>
>         FreeBSD does not yet support system type xxx
>
>         panic: platform not supported
>
> The first order of business is to figure out why this isn't happening.
> Are you using a serial console (9600 baud, 8n1, 0th serial port), or a
> graphics console?  Does your SRM console variable 'console' setting
> match reality? (eg 'serial' or 'graphics' depending..).  I'd try
> setting up a serial console & repeating the process using a serial
> console.  It also might be worth trying to netboot it, in case you
> have hardware problems with your floppy.

The floppy's okay. `set console graphics` at the SRM prompt and cycling
the power was a good thing to do. Now I get the twirling baton cursor,
the kern floppy loads, I'm prompted to insert the MFS root floppy. As
you
predicted I got:

  Support for system type 20 is not present in this kernel.
  Please build a kernel with "options DEC_EB64PLUS" and reboot.

  panic: platform not configured

message.

> If you get past this point (eg, can see output from the bootblocks &
> from the kernel realizing that its not on a supported platform), I'd
> be willing to do the PC64 platform support for you.  That would go a
> lot faster if you're able to netboot & have decent net access to slurp
> down test kernels from my ftp server.

I could netboot if need be. Right now I'm using the kern and mfsroot
because that's easier than figuring out netbooting, but beggars can't be
choosers.

> Also, FreeBSD does not yet support IDE devices

You're talking about FreeBSD-alpha, right? FreeBSD-intel does IDE just
fine. What's the story with IDE on alpha?

> (and I doubt your SRM
> console is capable of booting from one), so you'll need to get a SCSI
> controller your console recognizes & a SCSI disk.

For the moment I don't even see what the SCSI device is. When I do an
`ls` at the SRM prompt there's dva0.0.0.0.1 which is the floppy, there's
ewa0.0.0.7.0 which is the NIC.  Or will that automatically appear when I
plug in the SCSI card? I've got an Adaptec 1542 somewhere, is that
supported?

It seems surprising that the SRM console wouldn't support the IDE, given
that it's on the board; but I guess I'll have to take your word on that.

Thanks for your help.

--
Kaleb