Date:      Sun, 07 Feb 1999 22:56:25 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help with sending a PR

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sunday,  7 February 1999 at  2:39:34 +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> >> The browser? What browser? Use send-pr and your editor's "include
> >> file" command (:r filename<RET> in vi, C-x i filename<RET> in Emacs)
> >
> > Ah, come on, give me a break, this is the first time I've done this.
> >
> > I said I'm going to have to do it on-line on the Website, which means
> > using a browser. I know how to include a file in vi, but doesn't send-pr
> > use sendmail? which I haven't got installed. My only concern is that if
> > I enter the diffs by copying & pasting then the TABS will be converted
> > to spaces so the patches won't work (without the ``-l'' option).
>
> Hmm.  Doing this with a browser is really rather like sending a boy on
> a man's job.  Losing tabs is not such a crisis, but losing line breaks
> is, and both browsers and Microsoft's toy mailers like to do that.
> This might be a good time to think about setting up mail on your
> FreeBSD box.  It's not difficult.  If you can't do that, send me the
> text of the PR and ftp the file to ftp://ftp.lemis.com/incoming/, and
> I'll do it for you.

OK guys, that's it. I've had enough "get yourself a _proper_ mailer"
advice. I've done it. I've installed mutt _and_ I've got it to d/l my
mail from our mail server at work (which is where all my e-mail comes
through). It was even easier than The Book said, I didn't need popclient
as I just needed to setup some POP stuff in ~/.muttrc then type ``G''.
:-)

Now all I've got to do is figure out how to make sendmail send my mail
(you'll notice from the header that I sent this message with Netscape).
I've looked at the manpage, the handbook, FAQ, and The Book but they
haven't really helped, they seem more to do with receiving mail. Is
there a good guide to setting up sendmail to _send_ mail using a dial-up
connection? Something like the mutt manual
(/usr/local/share/doc/mutt/manual.html)?

One last thing. I still haven't learned all the keystrokes in mutt yet
and sometimes use the wrong one, e.g. ``f'' to move to the next page (as
in vi). However as this means ``forward'' I get a ``To: '' prompt. How
do I cancel it? ESC and Ctrl-D don't work, Ctrl-C does but asks ``Exit
mutt?'' with ``y'' as the default answer. What is the correct key to
cancel a command?

Thanks.

--
  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.