Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:49:51 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD mention in LWN interview with A.C.

John Polstra wrote:

> Jamie Bowden wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, John Polstra wrote:
> >
> >> It's much slower than CVSup.
> >
> > Aren't you slightly biased?  ;)
>
> Of course I'm biased, but that doesn't change the validity of my
> statement.

Doing a single block transfer of a bunch of files (or changes) is always
faster than starting numerous different connections to transfer individual
files.  CVSup has been very carefully optimized to use the network resources
in an efficient manner, something that more general-purpose programs can't
(or at least won't) do.

John's comments about connectivity are quite accurate, too.  Perforce
works about like CVS "pserver" mode w.r.t. connectivity, it's only
needed when you're doing a "p4" command.  If you don't have connectivity,
you have no "p4" commands.  In a commercial environment, where the "net"
is always up, this is not much of a limitation.  To a remote FreeBSD
hacker, who maintains a local CVS store updated with CVSup, it may be
somewhat untenable.

As I said, Perforce is an excellent product with much to recommend it,
but probably not the best solution for FreeBSD.  What we have works quite
well, because it was developed by highly motivated developers to pretty
much do exactly what FreeBSD needs.  If only *every* development project
were this lucky.

Especially Linux...  ;^)

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com