Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:52:05 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD robustness

Jonathan Lemon wrote:

> I have to admit that I'm just a little bit disappointed.  I have
> a machine which is acting as our corporate mailhub (all mail traffic
> passes through this machine), with the following stats:
>
>      > uname -v
>      FreeBSD 2.2-961014-SNAP #0: Tue Oct 15 01:27:25  1996
>           jkh@time.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
>      > uptime
>      1:43PM  up 586 days,  5:52, 1 user, load averages: 1.11, 1.08, 1.02
>
> The problem?  We apparently are required (by fire department or
> insurance regulations) to test our halon system.  This means that
> all power to the switch room will be cut for the duration of the
> test, and I have to shutdown the machine.
>
> I was hoping to get another 2 years out of it, barring hardware failures.
>
> Oh well.  *sniff*
>
> At least it proves the robustness of the operating system, and I guess
> I'll take advantage of the downtime to load 3.1-RELEASE on it.

And stick a gargantuan UPS on it, so it'll live through the next halon-
dump test.  Right?  ;^)

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com