Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 09:26:46 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sbin/kget Makefile kget.8 kget.c

Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> > Suggestions?
>
> 1. Modify kget so that it checks /boot/loader.rc, and if it cannot find
>    a 'load -t userconfig_script', it appends such line to it. Ugly and
>    not obvious.

Not an option. /boot/loader.rc may end with a "boot" or something
similar.

> 2. Modify the default configuration, i.e. /boot/loader.rc. Those who
>    will use the new /etc/rc will also use the new /boot/loader.rc

I think this is a problem of POLA. If loader.rc loads a kernel (this
is necessary before loading the userconfig_script, right?), then the
user does not have the option to load the kernel it wants from
loader anymore. (Say, for instance, in case of a bad kernel? :)

The later is a big problem, in fact. At the present, if we load the
userconfig_script, we cannot load different kernels anymore. Well,
not from loader (boot2 still works).

Options?

1) Make things unloadable.
2) Make it possible to load userconfig_script before loading kernel.
3) Have a flag on boot2 indicate to loader that it should not load
loader.rc.

Having just thought of option number 3, it looks like a desirable
feature to me. :-)

That said, I'd like to be able to load anything in any order, and
have dependencies solved just when proceeding to boot. This would
make it possible to load kld's, splash screens, userconfig_script,
and *not* load the kernel explicitly, which would make it possible
to load an alternate one by interrupting autoboot.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"To make it absolutely clear: you stand on the wrong end of my
blasters, so you better get lost before I start target practice!"