Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 1999 15:36:57 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Robert Sexton <robert@kudra.com>
Cc:        alk@pobox.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: base64

Robert Sexton wrote:

> Tony Kimball wrote:
>
> > I still think FreeBSD should be packaged as a layered system, a group
> > of functional complexes serving different areas.  And sooner rather
> > than later, for as it grows the components of what should be distinct
> > modules become increasingly interdependent.
>
> This the solution to the problem that could make everybody happy.
> So hows it coming along, Jordan? :-)

This is not that hard to do with the current system.  You just make
up packages that depend on the "sets" of packages (or use ports,
if you prefer) and don't contain anything else.  I believe the top-
level KDE package already does this.

For vanilla usability out of the box, I think KDE and Gnome are
going to be "the way to go."  Not due to technical excellence or any
particular feature of either, but simply because each provides a
relatively consistent and well-rounded set of "Accessories."

Speaking of which, has anyone looked at doing a port of AbiWord from
AbiSource yet?  Conceptually, the idea of a freely available word
processor that stores documents in XML sounds great.