Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 00:17:07 +0000
From:      Phillip Ryker <pryker@skynetweb.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   IP_Dummynet...

Good evening,

I am writting to see if it would be possible to get a
little more insight on setting up dummynet. I have installed freeBSD
v3.1 -STABLE on a box with 2 ethernet cards. I have done a make world
and have recompiled the kernel with the following options:

        OPTION  IPFIREWALL
        OPTION  IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
        OPTION  DUMMYNET

I have setup an "OPEN" firewall scenario and have the following rules
in rc.firewall:

# --------------------------------------------------
# Molasses Firewall Setup
# --------------------------------------------------

        $fwcmd add 65000 pass all from any to any

# Packet Selection Pipes

        $fwcmd add 500 pipe 1 ip from any to any in via xl1
        $fwcmd add 600 pipe 2 all from any to any out via xl0

# Bandwidth Limiter Pipes

        $fwcmd pipe 1 config bw 64Kbit/s
        $fwcmd pipe 2 config bw 64Kbit/s

# --------------------------------------------------

and a 'ipfw show' gives me:

00500    4    336 pipe 1 ip from any to any in recv xl1
00600 2501 142167 pipe 2 ip from any to any out xmit xl0
65000 6418 432995 allow ip from any to any
65535    0      0 deny ip from any to any

But it is not working at all.  The box is passing packets properly
between the 2 interfaces and I can ping through the firewall but it
will not limit the bandwidth to 64kbps.

Would it be possible that you could send me an example config from a
working setup or send me any information on what I am doing wrong.  I
basically just want the box to limit traffic through it. I have read
the man page and the dummynet web page but I am still stumped.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

--
Phillip Ryker