Date:      Sat, 07 Sep 2002 16:06:56 -0700
From:      Pat Lashley <patl+freebsd@volant.org>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CONCLUSION] What to do about Mozilla

--==========256366295==========

--On Saturday, September 07, 2002 03:08:58 AM -0400 Joe Marcus Clarke=20
<marcus@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> After listening to feedback, both on the list as well as direct, I think
> I'm going to leave things the way they are for now.  I'm doing this for
> a number of reasons.  One, Mozilla is a huge port, and the fewer
> sweeping changes made, the better.  Two, right now there are only two
> releases.  If Mozilla wants to keep branching and supporting branches,
> we can change things later.  Three, I've updated the pkg-descr's of both
> ports to accurately reflect their descriptions as listed at
> mozilla.org.  Four, this change really hasn't confused that many
> people.  People that want to use Mozilla 1.1 are still doing so despite
> the -devel label.

But both mozilla and mozilla-devel use the PORTNAME 'mozilla'.  Which
means that the -devel versions don't show up in the index.  And that
portupgrade will automatically downgrade a mozilla(-devel)-1.1,1=20
installation
to 1.0_2,1.  (And similarly for the mozilla-*-devel ports.)

So if you're going to stick with this scheme, at least finish the job.
Add '-devel' to the mozilla*-devel PORTNAMEs and bump their portepoch
to match the non-devel versions.

I know you're mind is made up on this; but my reading of the Mozilla site
and their roadmap would suggest that it would have been better to have
the mozilla* ports track the 1.1, 1.2, etc releases and to have a set of
mozilla-stable or mozilla10 ports to stick with the older release.

But whichever way it is split, they need to have distinct PORTNAMEs; and
some mechanism needs to be in place to indicate to dependant ports which
one is preferrred.

-Pat