Date:      Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:17:27 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-2?Q?Martin_P=E1la?= <Martin.Pala@oskar.cz>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <archie@freebsd.org>
Subject:   redundant ethernet adapters - fault tolerance?

Hello,

i have a question regarding to redundant ethernet interfaces support in =
FreeBSD (we need adapter fault tolerance).

Our system has two ethernet interfaces, each is connected to different =
switch for high availability reasons. Currently we use netgraph FEC =
module for this task, however it seems that it is not suitable for HA =
configuration of this type - we experience small network problems when =
running via FEC and two independent switches. When we reconfigured the =
network to use just one physical interface, the problems were solved. We =
then tried the second physical interface to make sure that there is no =
hardware related problem ... it worked like a charm as well. We use =
FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE.

Is ethernet adapter HA supported in FreeBSD?

For example on linux it is possible to select active-pasive mode of =
ethernet bonding module (linux alternative). This works perfectly (only =
one interface is active at a time, the other is backup).

Thanks,
Martin