Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 02:02:07 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        brian@Awfulhak.org, camel@avias.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some news about ftp hangs

Luoqi Chen wrote:

> Sorry, this is a legitimate ICMP packet: port unreacheable. It looks like
> the ftp server (ftp.freebsd.org) was making an UDP query to DNS port on
> the client (which happens to have a named server running, but that's just
> for the internal network, external ip address is served by an outside server)
> and the client responds with port unreacheable even though there is a named
> running. I'm totally confused. I'll try to find out more. By the way, if
> I turn off aliasing (set alias enable off), ftp works fine again.

This might be a good time to point out that such changes were made
not only to ftp but to a number of other clients. We now check the
reverse address for the IP that was found, so we can decide whether
log the name or the ip address (the later if the reverse does not
match the original address).

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Well, Windows works, using a loose definition of 'works'..."