Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:36:37 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        adrian@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

adrian@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

> Dom Mitchell writes:
> >On 28 April 1999, Joe Abley proclaimed:
> >> This all sounds very non-unixy. But I don't really know why.
> >
> >Because it's exactly what the Mac has been doing for over a decade.  I
> >don't think that there's anything terribly wrong with the idea.  In
> >fact, it's good we are making use of the facilities that our ELF
> >changeover has bought us.
> >
> >The one problem I do see with this idea however, is that it only applies
> >to binaries, and not data.
> >--
> >Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator
>
> ... and so have pcs in the .exe file format.
>
> If you want to do it for data, then you would have to make mime-type
> (or whatever you use to slap on a file type) part of the filesystem
> entry.
>
> Or use extensions. Like what happens now.

Or create a fs layer so all of the above would be moot.

I find it really curious that layered filesystems seem to never be
considered for the jobs they were created for.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Proof of Trotsky's farsightedness if that _none_ of his
predictions have come true yet."