Date:      Sun, 02 May 1999 12:44:16 -0500
From:      Lars Fredriksen <lars@odin-corporation.com>
To:        Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: default route not set up??

Hi,
    There are two things going on with the route setup.

    if [ "x$defaultrouter" != "xNO" ] ; then
            static_routes="default ${static_routes}"
            route_default="default ${defaultrouter}"
    fi

    1) since route_default is never used, it should be deleted, ignore that
line above.

    2) if you set defaultrouter to anything other than "NO", the
static_route variable gets a "default" route
         route label added, and this label will get evaled later on.

So rc.conf should read: (example from my setup)

defaultrouter="YES"             # Set to default gateway (or NO).
static_routes="local"           # Set to static route list (or leave
empty).
route_local=" -net <net ip>  <host>"
route_default=" default <host>"

So, two actions are needed. The route_default line from rc.network should
get deleted, and the comment
in rc.conf for the defaultrouter variable should be clearer.

If others agree, I can go and commit the fixes for that ....

Lars