Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 13:22:44 -0700
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        info@boatbooks.com
Subject:   Redundant servers

I operate a colocated server (busy WWW, plus primary DNS and a small
amount of mail) for some clients, and we have been thinking about how to
assure (almost) uninterrupted service in the event of server failure. The
problem is that if physical access is required (e.g., because of hardware
failure), we may at times have difficulty achieving an acceptable repair
time. There is also the issue of minimizing downtime during major
upgrades. Since this machine takes online orders, downtime is directly
translatable into dollars of income lost.

The existing machine is a plain PII-400 with 512MB RAM and 18GB total
non-RAID SCSI disk, and has been perfectly reliable to date. We could
purchase a fancy "server-grade" machine with RAID, redundant power
supplies, etc., but the fact is that there are still things that could
fail, and we'd still have to go down for certain upgrades. Also, such a
machine would be so expensive that having a spare would be out of the
question at present.

For less total cost, we can commit a machine identical to the existing
server as a hot-standby, installed in the colo. So my first question is
does anyone have opinions on this or alternative strategies for
maximizing uptime, given that physical access to the server may be
severely restricted?

The second issue is how to actually run a hot standby, and effect a
switch on failure of the primary.

I would want the spare machine on the network, since it could be used for
offloading some background tasks from the live machine, and also for
backing up some critical data.

My thought was to assign the spare a separate primary IP address, and
have only that address active under normal circumstances. If it became
necessary to switch over from the live server, we would somehow take the
live server off the network (by software, remote power-down or physical
disconnection), and then run a script on the spare to ifconfig the 50 or
so IP alias addresses that the operational server answers to for DNS,
mail and WWW traffic. Maybe this could be automated based on monitoring
the primary machine.

The other issue is how to make sure the spare machine is basically a
mirror of the primary machine.

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna