Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 06:34:46 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        "David G. Andersen" <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel Create & Share followup

David G. Andersen wrote:

> i've solved the problem as far as my needs are concerned;  opening the
> tuner device with the intel create & share causes the camera to
> shut-off (and ne'er again to open).

Well, that means we know what the problem is, AND I have a fix.

1) Grab version 1.64 of the Bt848 driver from my Web Site
at  http://telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk/bt848

2) Locate this part of the brooktree848.c file
        {  CARD_INTEL,                          /* the card id */
          "Intel Smart Video III/VideoLogic Captivator PCI", /* the
'name' */
           NULL,                                /* the tuner */
           0,                                   /* the tuner i2c address
*/
           0,
           0,
           0,
           0,
           { 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 },                   /* audio MUX values */
           0x0f },                              /* GPIO mask */

** And change the 0x0f on the LAST line to 0x00

Then make a new kernel and try it again (with /dev/tuner being opened)

I bet the Camera's power on/off is controlled from the GPIO lines and
the driver is currently setting the bottom 4 GPIO lines to OUTPUTS
every time you open /dev/tuner.
Changing 0x0f to 0x00 makes the driver set all 24 GPIO lines to INPUT
mode.

(GPIO - general purpose IO. The bt848 has 24 digital i/o lines for
interfacing
to other devices on the bt848 card)

Bye
Roger
--
Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde Uni Telepresence Research Group, Glasgow, Scotland.