Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:23:36 -0600
From:      Christopher Taylor <chris@thedial.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   CMD 5440 Problems

I installed a CMD 5440 with an Adaptec 2940 on FreeBSD 3.2 about four
days ago. I followed the instructions on

http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/raid/

for setting up my controller and it went smoothly. However, I started
noticing file system errors on the RAID box, such as the following...

** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
SALVAGE? [yn] y

and...

** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
UNREF FILE I=35859  OWNER=root MODE=100644
SIZE=0 MTIME=Jun 28 18:02 1999
CLEAR? [yn] y

** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
SALVAGE? [yn] y

SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD
SALVAGE? [yn] y

BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS
SALVAGE? [yn] y

There were other errors that came up as well, but I don't currently have
those available. But, the errors were bad enough to cause my OS to
become unstable. My system rebooted twice before becoming unable to
mount my /usr partition (all of my partitions are on the RAID).

I spoke with CMD tech support and their latest guess is that the issue
is with the Adaptec controller. They said I should turn termination from
'Automatic' to 'Low on/High on'. I'm currently testing this to see if
this fixes my problems

In the mean time, I there anyone out there who can help me get this
working. This is hindering an important project for my company and we
are willing to pay consulting fees if need be to get this issue
resolved.

Thanks,

--Chris

Christopher Taylor