Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 20:57:48 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Rishikesh <rishi@math.ohio-state.edu>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Steven Honson <shonson@planetquake.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making copys of the FreeBSD CD's

Rishikesh wrote:

> * Greg Lehey (grog@lemis.com) [990826 22:24]:
> >
> > If you look at the back of the booklet, the last line reads:
> >
> >   This CDROM copyright (c) 1999 Walnut Creek CDROM
> >
> > FreeBSD can be freely copied and redistributed.  The CD-ROMs may not,
> > and I doubt your motives.  I can't stop you from breaching the
> > copyright, but you can be sure as hell I won't help you.
> >
> > Greg
>
>         I wonder what is the difference between the two?

	It's the difference between content and formatting. To take the argument
to the extreme case, you cannot copyright the english alphabet, but people
can copyright works that make use of it. It's how the letters are arranged
that make the work copyrightable. Same goes with the CD's. All of the
content is available for free, but WC Archive puts it together in a handy
format for you. That format is copyrightable, and you can't just copy it
and use it for your own commercial pursuits.

Doug (not a lawyer)