Date:      Fri, 03 Sep 1999 15:17:11 -0700
From:      dmp@aracnet.com
To:        Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        Michael Rothenberg <rothenberg@automationonline.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HW requirements

Heiko Recktenwald wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Sep 1999 dmp@aracnet.com wrote:
> > Michael Rothenberg wrote:
> > > I have asked my company cohorts to bring in all their unused computer
> > > equip. I plan on making a BSD only box out of all the junk I collect. I
>
> > No less than 8MB.
> >
> And a big swap partition.
>
> I had a 486 with 16 MB Ram and only 10 MB swap (my first experimental
> system, one 125 MB IDE drive, everything into /, it works). Sometimes the
> screen gets many colors, system stops and reboots by itself (how perfect).
> This could be circumvented by other 16 MB Ram. So there seems to be some
> need for memory, besides the old rule, that swap should be twice as large
> as RAM (and a little bit more).

Yes, for a normal workstation.  But Michael's building a gateway.
NAT, xntpd, ipfw/ipfilter, and DNS don't need much.  The only
hardware capacity issue you really have to concern yourself with is
having sufficient network hardware and processing power to handle a
saturated internet link.  Other than that, a few steps to fix
potential security problems and DoS vulnerabilities and you're good
to go.