Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:11:51 -0800
From:      "Jared Curtis" <JCurtis@fas.edu>
To:        <freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Adding new device id's for ATH driver

Hello,

This is my first post to this list and I think it's going to be a good
one ;).

I just recently bought a HP nx6125 laptop
(http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/321957-64295-89315-321838
-f33-471753.html
<https://mail.w00ttech.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=3Dhttp://h10010.www1=
.
hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/321957-64295-89315-321838-f33-471753.html> )
that came with a Broadcom bcm4309 wifi card (mini pci). I was aware that
this card was not supported by FreeBSD and I planned on switching it out
for an Atheros card (sorry I don't have the exact card handy).  When I
swapped the cards I found out that the HP bios has a lockout feature
that checks to verify that only the white listed cards are installed.
After some searching I found a tutorial on installing a Atheros card
into the nx6125 (http://www.dagarlas.org/stuff/computing/article0001.php
<https://mail.w00ttech.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=3Dhttp://www.dagarla=
.org/stuff/computing/article0001.php> ) but it was for a Linux system
using the MadWifi driver.  I followed all the steps and changed the
device id to match that of the Broadcom card and now the laptop boots
fine with the Atheros card :).  But now I need to modify the drivers to
recognize the new device id so that they will work with the card.

I modified ah_devid.h and changed out the id's that matched the
originals on the Atheros card to now match the Broadcom id's.  I then
rebuilt the modules and loaded them.  They load fine but the card
doesn't show up in an ifconfig.

I was given this link
http://www.demarctech.com/techsupport/rw-wireless-cards-support/free-bsd
-setup.htm
<https://mail.w00ttech.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=3Dhttp://www.demarct=
ch.com/techsupport/rw-wireless-cards-support/free-bsd-setup.htm>  but it
is for a pccard devices does a similar concept work for mini pci
devices?

And now to my question.  Could someone who is more familiar with the ATH
driver please point me in the right direction on what files need to be
changed to make the ATH driver work with my new Broadcom id's.  I can
provide more details such as specific hardware info and device id's if
someone will be able to assist me.