Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 16:06:12 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, dmaddox@conterra.com, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loss of Functionality with newpnp

"Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:

> I also know that we are a lot better off with CAM, and could care less
> that the old ancient AIC drivers are dead, but some how I am also pretty

Let me chime in here. We *DO* care about ancient AIC drivers as long
as no PCMCIA alternative exists.

> sure we won't be reverting back on newpcm, even if some old sound cards
> don't work.  It'll take the same arguement path that CAM did.  ``This
> is so much better, someone is working on getting that done, etc, etc..''

Alas, the fuctionality lost in this case is one of newer cards. We
lost the cutting edge stuff, and kept just the old technology. :-)
That this is the reverse of the driver situation is a fine irony.
:-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	Rule 69: Do unto other's code as you'd have it do unto yours