Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:37:32 -0500
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jxm6801@megahertz.njit.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   David's comments...

Okay, okay, i give up.. you win.  Unfortunately, sometimes we computer
fans forget that the general populous doesn't want what we want.  We
like toys, and tinkering.  Most people want Plug 'n' Play.  We want
flexibility, they want simplicity.  So, on that count Microsoft wins.
They have made a simpler, easier, more limited and trimmed down OS that
gives most people exactly what they want: a $1000 typewriter, index card
file, web surfer, calculator, and video game.  So they win.  Unix is
powerful, but you have to have a degree, serious book education, or
insatiably curiosity along with free time to use it.

I do feel, however, that the judge had some salient points about the
techniques Microsoft used to accomplish its purposes.  I don't think
they were all ideal examples of the competition intended by capitalism.

I only hope there is a revolution around the corner that will be
powerful enough to stop the Microsoft juggernaut.  And I think it would
be more gratifying if that defeat came from a better product, rather
than from a government decision.