Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 1999 20:24:53 +0100
From:      Steven Enderle <s.ende@gmx.net>
To:        jahanur <jahanur@jjsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail or othermail

--------------E7A5CB283A17DBF86E240C45

You can simply check what mailer is installed, it will tell you when you enter
"telnet localhost 25" on your box.

You should see the following:

[panic@strange::/usr/local/panic/private] > telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 strange ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3; Sun, 28 Nov 1999 20:21:04 +0100 (CET)

I have sendmail 8.9.3 installed, it's the standart smtpd in FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE
and FreeBSD 3.2 RELEASE.

Simply type QUIT to exit telnet.

jahanur wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I have installed the latest FreeBsd 3.2 Release.
> And I am not sure I have installed the Sendmail but I can mail other
> users. I beleive that some kind of mail program is automatically installed
> and When I run sendmail that is also runnig. So I am not sure which
> exactly is working. Could somebody help  me or give me some kind of
> links to where I can read about it.
> I see that sendmail is somehow installed.
> But my plan is to install the sendmail the best possible way.
> Do I need to uninstall the one we already have.
> Please help me.!!
>
> Jahanur

--------------E7A5CB283A17DBF86E240C45

You can simply check what mailer is installed, it will tell you when you
enter "telnet localhost 25" on your box.
+0100 (CET)
3.3-STABLE and FreeBSD 3.2 RELEASE.
of