Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 02:36:04 -0500
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Eric Jones <ejon@colltech.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:

> All true, I'm afraid.  All I can say is that efforts to revive the
> effort to replace sysinstall are underway and we're even trying to
> throw some money-shaped darts at the problem in hopes that we'll hit
> something.  I'm cautiously pessimistic, so we'll see. :)

As far as the successor to sysinstall goes, I think it would be
nice to have both a console version and an X version, with some X
tookit such as Lesstif or Qt, or Tcl/Tk.  It could be a lot like
RedHat's "linuxconf", where you can use it as both an installer
or system administration tool.  Not that I'm in love with
RedHat's method of doing things, but I think it would be nice to
keep sysinstall (or whatever it'd be called) as an all-in-one
tool for adding packages or for first-time installs.

Maybe we could call it "sysconfig", in honor of the old
/etc/sysconfig file that was superceded bt /etc/rc.conf.

I saw in CUBFM (the newsgroup) where a couple of people wanted to
do a GUI menu-based interfaced to the kernel configuration (as
opposed to editing a file by hand).  I don't think this would be
too hard at all, but I wondered what the experienced FreeBSD
users thought of this idea?

I was fiddling around with NetBSD-current i386 on this same
machine, and it looks really raw compared to FreeBSD.  No
offense, but they don't even have anything as nice as sysinstall
yet.  On top of that, there's no utility like we have
(userconfig) to edit device parameters before the boot procedes.
As a result, if more than one ISA device is attached to the same
IRQ, you'll get a kernel panic on boot-up.

Of course, I realize NetBSD is more focused on being
multi-platform than we, but there's no reason they can't "borrow"
some ideas from us, such as userconfig boot editor or
sysinstall.  In return, we could borrow some of their code for
our SPARC port.  I think we should keep the lines open between us
and NetBSD/OpenBSD, so that we can exchange some ideas more
freely.

- Donn