Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2017 13:24:17 +0100
From:      Rafal Lukawiecki <raf@rafal.net>
To:        freebsd-cloud@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD AWS AMI disk system

Pardon my ignorance, as a recent convert to running FreeBSD in AWS, but I wo=
uld like to know a little more about the possibilities that regard the under=
lying file system of the official RE and Marketplace FreeBSD 11 AMIs.

Ideally, I would like to have the simplicity of using the official AMIs but h=
ave the option of selecting a different initial volume size (both smaller, 4=
-5GB, and larger), and to turn on the standard EBS encryption at the initial=
 instance launch time. I realise that I can create my own AMIs, as I have do=
ne over the years using CentOS. Is there an easier way and one that would no=
t require my own AMI rebuilding from my own snapshots each time FreeBSD is r=
eleased?

Then there is the question of the actual file system. Have you opinions abou=
t any  performance gains, especially startup/reboot time, for OpenZFS via EB=
S? The usual ZFS advantages of versioning/ZFS snapshots and the ability to s=
tream updates seem attractive to our way of running our (growing) server far=
m. I was just reading the current issue of the FreeBSD Magazine and I have f=
ound out that ScaleEngine use OpenZFS in their AWS set-up.

As an aside, the EFS is pretty slow=E2=80=94I suppose I had higher expectati=
ons, considering EBS performance. I do not think that has much to do with Fre=
eBSD and more likely a limitation of AWS NFS, but I wonder if there is anyth=
ing on the horizon that could improve it. On another note, will the >32 bit N=
FS log spam disappear anytime soon, ie. when is FreeBSD likely to get 64-bit=
 handles?

Many thanks for your thoughts and my regards from Ireland,

Rafal Lukawiecki
Data Scientist
Project Botticelli Ltd