Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 17:27:18 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        William Freeman <dfree@inna.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some performance issues

William Freeman wrote:

> Hello all.  I've finaly gotten out of that evil linux cult and come back
> to the land of FreeBSD, how ever in 3.3R i have noticed that programmes
> such as Netscape, Licq, gnomecc, gIDE, e-conf, et cetera do not load as
> fast as they should, or in fact, occasionaly not in a reasonable amount
> of time.  on a 400Mhz machine with 256MB of RAM i shouldn't have time to
> fetch a cup of coffie while waiting for one of these relitivly small
> applications to load when i don't have time to blink when loading Emacs
> or Glade.  I've tried everything i can think of (including several
> re-installations, compiling the software by hand, et cetera) but i still
> cant figure it out.  If any one has any suggestions it would be greatly
> appreciated.

Well, you didn't tell us what kind of 400Mhz machine you have. A
Celeron, straight out of the box, doesn't run a fast as a P-II or
P-III. The memory runs at 66Mhz instead of 100Mhz.

A IDE HD that is capable of UDMA33 will produce much different results
than one that is only capable of 16MB/s. The flags on your IDE
controller can change through put by a factor of 4x.

Netscape loads as fast on my FreeBSD system as it does on Win 2000.
Some times, it is even faster. You wouldn't have time to get to the
stairs in my place before it was loaded much less get a cup of coffee.

Kent

> William Freeman
> !spam-dfree@inna.net

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html