Date:      Sun, 02 Jan 2000 11:55:26 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
Cc:        ong1s@cmich.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.4 kernel, ppp -auto shutdown

Dru wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Jan 2000 ong1s@cmich.edu wrote:
>
> > What dos "sio3: 182more  interrupt-level buffer overflows (total
> > 182)" mean? sio3 is my modem.
>
> Try changing your speed in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf to:
>
> set speed 38400
>
> Worked for me. The whys and wherefores can be found at
> www.freebsd.org/search.

Actually, you should set it faster than that. In order to fully do the
v42.bis compression, you need a rate that is ~4x your connect rate. At
56kb, that would be 230,400 but most systems have 115,200 as a divisor
of 1 for the uart and they won't go that high. If you have a slow
system, it may not be able to support sio at 115200 and you could have
to drop it until everything is reliable. He may need to specify
rts/cts buffering. It seems like the system defaults to everything
proper except the speed of 115200.

> > After starting ppp -auto ondemand, how to shut it down gentlely? I use ps
> > to grep the pid and then kill it. or read pid from /var/log/ppp.log. There
> > aught to be a better way.
>
> At the PPP prompt, type bye, or if you're lazy, by.

That won't work because he isn't running interactive. What he sees is

Working in interactive mode
Warning: No available tunnel devices found (Device busy)

The -auto starts it up in the background and he has to close it down
by other means such as setting up ppp to allow pppctl to be used to
pass commands to ppp. I use a local domain socket and that leaves a
mess if you don't close things down properly :). I have done that many
times and had to clean up the mess afterwards :).

Kent

> > Happy New Year!
>
> Same to you!
>
> Dru