Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2000 15:38:27 +0100
From:      Michael Grant <mgrant@grant.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports collection for Solaris

> Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>:
> I doubt it, but if anyone tries to, I would be surprised if they finished.
> There are 2,966 (?) ports to "port", in addition to perhaps a few changes to
> bsd.port.mk, among other things.

Well, it was my hopes that most of the changes would be in bsd.port.mk and not
in the 3000 odd other Makefiles! A lot of things compile untouched on
Solaris.  Secondly, it would be crazy for any one person to try and maintain
so many Makefiles!  Better to put the infrastructure in place and let the
owner of each port tweek their Makefile if necessary.

> Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
> Out of curiosity, did you ask about interest for this on a *Solaris*
> list?  They'd be a heck of a lot more interested in the idea ... it seems
> odd to ask for support for Solaris on a FreeBSD list.

No, I thought I'd ask here first because I thought if anyone knew about a
ports collection for Solaris it'd be you folks.  I am considering doing this
myself or atleast giving it a try and seeing how far I get.

I spent about 4 hours web surfing around last night and turned up lots of
people saying it'd be a good thing to do but nobody seems to have done it.

> The closest thing available, to my knowledge, is
> <URL:http://www.sunfreeware.com/>.

Yes, these folks have done an excellent job!

> remorse code <rone@ennui.org>:
> I wish.  I tried.  First thing that needs to happen is to port
> FreeBSD's make (which is based on pmake, but has diverged sufficiently
> from pmake that the latter will not work with the FreeBSD ports .mk
> files) to Solaris.

Porting freeBSD's make doesn't sound unreasonable.  That seems a damn site
easier than changing 3000 Makefiles!  So I've started to do this.  I now have
a working freeBSDmake on Solaris.  I've started looking at bsd.port.mk.

What occurs to me is that bsd.ports.mk needs to be changed, perhaps
significantly.  One possibility is that you folks retake the changes so that
there's one single bsd.port.mk file for freeBSD, Solaris, netBSD...etc.  The
other possibility is just redoing it for each os.  If it's going to be redone
for each os, then there's really no need to port freeBSD's make and fetch and
other tools that it depends on.

On another note, I downloaded ports.tar.gz which is 8.1M.  When it
uncompressed, I got 55.8M!  Wow, 7:1 compression.  I know why, it's because
there's a heck of a lot of duplication in there.  Seems like someone should
consider folding some of that duplication back into bsd.port.mk if possible.

Is this list the correct place to discuss a more portable ports collection?
If so, I'll join, if not, I'll go away!

Please cc me for the time being.  Thanks.

Michael Grant