Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:58:11 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RTC (stat clock) does not generate interrupts ?!?!

Hello,

I have a bizarre problem with my new computer: a Dell Inspiron 3700 laptop.
I am posting to -hardware instead of -mobile because this problem is
related to the RTC (statistical clock), and I need a larger audience :-)

This is the problem: under some circumstances, the RTC does not
generate interrupts (IRQ 8) after the system is started or rebooted.
These circumstances are:

1. The system is rebooted, while being powered by AC or battery.

2. The system is turned off and on, while being powered by AC.

And this is astonishing: when I turn the laptop off, disconnect it from
AC, wait a couple of seconds, reconnect to AC, and turn it on again,
the RTC _does_ work.

I used "vmstat -i" to see when IRQ 8 is being generated by the RTC.
However, in order to have a direct proof, I modified the rtcintr()
handler in sys/i386/isa/clock.c for displaying a message every
128 interrupts (one second). Using this little trick I confirmed
that "vmstat -i" is not lying.

And there is another interesting fact: if I suspend the system when
the RTC is not working, after resuming the RTC works! I suspect that
the cause is that i8254_restore() is called from apm_default_resume()
in sys/i386/apm/apm.c.

I suspect a BIOS bug, but anyway I would love to have any explanation
for this strange phenomenom. I am willing to try any modifications to
sys/i386/isa/clock.c, but I do not know anything about i8254 programming,
so I would be very very thankful for any idea or advice.

TIA,
-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@FreeBSD.org
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-946013071