Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2000 13:41:32 +0200
From:      Ertan Kucukoglu <ertank@ozlerplastik.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crontab entries

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 02:43:10PM +0200, Ertan Kucukoglu wrote:
> > John Baldwin wrote:
> > >
> > > Alright, your crontab looks fine.  However, my question is: how do you know
> > > that periodic is running your scripts on Sunday?  You said that your modem
> > > dials out at 1:59 on Sunday, well, that is probably due to one of the
> > > weekly scripts in /etc/periodic/weekly/ needing net access for some reason,
> > > or perhaps a one of the daily scripts in /etc/periodic/daily/ needing
> > > net access.
> >
> > Hello again,
> >
> > After a week I'm here again. I checked my crontab I put some 'ps ax'
> > jobs. And see that something that I'm not sure runs my 'ppp -ddial
> > -alias isp' command in a way in the periodic *daily* scripts.
> >
> > I put one cron job before periodic daily script and one after that. I
> > see that I'm connected after that periodic daily scripts run. I also
> > checked if some weekly scripts connects me but I see that their running
> > time is different, 3:30.
> >
> > Now, I'll check to find out which script is running my ppp, or making it
> > to run.
>
> My guess,
>
>   440.status-mailq
>
> The mailq(1) is going to do DNS lookups.
> --
> Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@home.com

The problem is before the 440.status-mailq. Here is the output of
periodic-daily:
-----
  0 00:01:00
  0 00:00:59
  0 00:00:58
[snipped]
  0 00:00:03
  0 00:00:02
  0 00:00:01
  0 00:00:00
fetchmail: can't accept options while a background fetchmail is running.
Subject: www.ozler.com daily run output

Removing stale files from /var/preserve:

Cleaning out old system announcements:

Removing stale files from /var/rwho:
[snipped]
-----

I see here that periodic daily runs my /etc/rc.conf. I have delay
command in my rc.conf just after 'ppp -ddial -alias isp' command. The
seconds going down comes from delay command.

That file is run *before* 120.clean-preserve. "Removing stale files from
/var/preserve:" message is included in that file. So there is two files:
100.clean-disks
110.clean-tmps

I didn't see anything in that files and anyfile in /etc/periodic/daily/
that includes rc.conf or something related. (If anybody wants to look at
them I can mail these (or all) periodic daily files) My
/etc/periodic/daily files are original ones. I didn't change them.

Also I remember that 'periodic does not run non executable files',
/etc/rc.conf is not executable ("-rw-r--r--").

I also wish to know which directories are given as parameter to periodic
command in crontab?

Thanks,

--
Ertan Kucukoglu