Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:18:13 -0600
From:      Richard Martin <dmartin@origen.com>
To:        John Fitzgibbon <fitz@jfitz.com>
Cc:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Publishing Firewall Logs

Just a postscript here on a different thought. My question is on usefulness of
the information in the logs.

We log most of the deny packets on our firewalls and these are reviewed
frequently. We run down the more serious looking ones, and I must say that in
my experience about 60% of the scans that we get are from bogus IPs. Some are
also quite clever, using unused IP addresses in our network. Until there is a
more global use of outbound packet checking by ISPs, I am afraid that a lot of
people may just be filling up their hosts.allow file with chaff.

I would likewise bet the information in the logs contains a lot of spoofed
IPs.

--
Richard Martin       dmartin@origen.com

OriGen, inc.         Tel: +1 512 474 7278
2525 Hartford Rd.    Fax: +1 512 708 8522
Austin, TX 78703