Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 23:31:11 -0400
From:      Chad Ziccardi <zicc@bellatlantic.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.X and bad blocks

I recently noticed that the 4.0 install floppies do not have the bad block
scan option. I've tried on 3 different systems here, it didn't showup in
the list, nor did the (B) key respond with anything.

All three systems were different sizes/processors/controllers, but all 3
systems contained only drives over 20gig, that may be a problem, but I will
check in the morning on a smaller system.

Is there a reason this was removed? Is there a way I can force it in the
newfs options from the Options screen?

Thanks in advance,
--Chad Ziccardi

PS: please CC a copy to me =)

System 1) AMD Athalon (650), ASUS K7M mobo, Maxtor (running ATA/66)
System 2) P 133, Promise ATA66 controller(#1), WD 205AA (running ATA/33)

#1: I couldn't remember the model, will look in the morning it was a 30.2
or 30.7.
#2: I know the promise card isn't on the HCL lists, but it works, the mobo
card gives me "atacpi0: Busmastering DMA not supported" then resouce not
ready and reboots