Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 11:57:38 -0500
From:      John Amdor III <johnmxl@radiks.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re using a 486

I have FreeBSD 2.2.5 running on an old Compaq 486/33 with a 250MB IDE
hard drive that provides a PPP connection with 56K modem to support 5
user stations in a small-town public library.  It isn't pretty (or fast)
but it serves (pardon the pun) the purpose and fits the budget.

I compiled a custom kernel to eliminate stuff I didn't need and use
ijppp.  One of these days I should recompile the kernel and add a
firewall but it works so well now I hate to mess with it!

John Amdor