Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:17:57 -0700
From:      Richard Martin <dmartin@origen.com>
To:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: icmp type 3 code 4: a couple of questions

Add:

    /sbin/ipfw add pass icmp from ${oip} to any icmptypes ${icmpallow}
    /sbin/ipfw add pass icmp from any to ${oip} icmptypes ${icmpallow}
    /sbin/ipfw add deny log icmp from any to any

this lets the firewall machine ping in and out (used by Big Brother), but
stops those not very useful, and blocks all ICMP to other machines past
the firewall

Substitute in the ICMP types you want to allow each way, you can specify
different  ones both in and out.

We use

    icmpallow="0,3,4,5,8,11,12,14,16,18"

I wonder if anyone has any comments on the appropriateness of these

--
Richard Martin       dmartin@origenbio.com