Date:      Sun, 09 Jul 2000 18:47:20 -0500
From:      Christopher Madden <maddenca@yahoo.com>
To:        esk@ira.uka.de
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: xmms-1.2.1

I am rather new to FreeBSD and ports in general but I think there is a
problem with xmms-1.2.1.  Here are the steps I took which made me have a
problem.

Since the latest version of xmms I had in my /usr/ports/audio subdir was
1.0.x I went to the www.freebsd.org/ports page.  I then found the 1.2.1
version, and dowloaded it, untarring it in /usr/ports/audio/xmms.  I
then did a make fetch and it tried to ftp a file named .tar.gz instead
of the real xmms-1.2.1.tar.gz.  I then d/l the file (the main src code
for xmms) from one of the links that FreeBSD ports page suggested and
saved it in /usr/ports/distfiles and tried a make again.  It again tried
to find some file which doesn't exist at any of the remote ftp servers,
and didn't match the file I had just downloaded.  I then changed a
couple of things in the Makefile:
Original was:
PORTNAME=       xmms
PORTVERSION=    1.2.1

I updated it to:
DISTNAME=       xmms-1.2.1

and then did my make again and all went well, downloading and making
other dependencies just fine.

Here's a uname -a for ya:
FreeBSD maddenca.dyndns.org 4.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE #6: Sun Jul
9 15:44:28 CDT 2000
root@maddenca.dyndns.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/WSOUND  i386

Let me know if I'm incorrect or if you need additional information.

Thanks,
Chris Madden
maddenca@yahoo.com