Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:12:36 -0500
From:      Paul Coyne <pac@geodesic.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cached versus non cached disk I/O

Perhaps not really a STABLE question, sorry - but the expertise level is
good here.

Can anyone point me to where I might find information if and when disk
I/O can/will be cached by FreeBSD, e.g.:

Is a mkdir cached?

Does a mkdir call from an NFS client wait for a positive response from
an NFS server prior to handling the next request?  And does the NFS
server actually commit the update to disk (let's exclude hardware cache
for this discussion), prior to responding to the NFS client.  Is this
configurable?

Same questions for symbolic links.

--
// Paul A. Coyne            Geodesic Systems, Inc.
// mailto:pac@geodesic.com  http://www.geodesic.com