Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 22:01:42 -0700
From:      "George W. Dinolt" <gdinolt@pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com
Subject:   (noperiph:ahc0:0:-1:-1): ... error

I originally posted this on -current, but  Matthew Jacob
<mjacob@feral.com> suggested that I post this on -scsi as well.

I am trying to boot a recent kernel (as of yesterday) and am seeing the
following pair of contiguous error  messages when I try to boot::

(noperiph:ahc0:0:-1:-1): SCSI bus reset delivered. 0 SCBs aborted.
panic: Bogus resid sgptr value 0xbd68609

(I copied this from the console after the boot failure, there may be
minor mistakes.)

It appears that the probe for the ahc0 drive works. The probe message
appears very early in the boot process. The above messages appear just
before I would expect the messages about the scsi disk drives to appear.
After the second message, of course, the system panics and halts and
there is no information about the drives.

This started happening when I started compiling kernels built from
sources cvsuped around Jul 18.

I am not sure what is causing these messages. The "noperiph" message
appears to come from xpt_print_path in /usr/src/sys/cam/cam_xpt.c while
the panic seems to be written by ahc_calc_residual in
/usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.c.  From a quick look at the code, the
problem is not directly in the code pointed to by the messages.

I have an Adaptec 2940UW. A much older kernel reports it as <Adaptec
2940 Ultra SCSI adapter>  with  aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7,
16/255 SCBs. The Bios on the board is version 2.20.0

I have 4 drives and a UMAX scanner connected to the bus. More details
available if needed.

I am using an IWILL XA100P motherboard

I am hopeful that someone will recognize the problem.

My config file looks as follows:

machine  i386
cpu  I586_CPU
cpu  I686_CPU
ident  DINOLT1
maxusers 32

options  CPU_WT_ALLOC  # k6 support
options  NO_MEMORY_HOLE  # k6 support
options  USER_LDT  # wine support
options  EXT2FS   # Linux file system support
options         PQ_CACHESIZE=512        # color for 512k/16k cache
options  INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE     # Include this file in kernel

options  INET   #InterNETworking
options  INET6   #IPv6 communications protocols
options  IPSEC   #IP security
options  IPSEC_ESP  #IP security (crypto; define w/ IPSEC)
options  IPSEC_DEBUG  #debug for IP security

options  FFS   #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options  FFS_ROOT  #FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options  MFS   #Memory Filesystem
options  CD9660   #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options  CD9660_ROOT  #CD-ROM usable as root, CD9660 required
options  COMPAT_43  #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options  SCSI_DELAY=6000  #Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options  UCONSOLE  #Allow users to grab the console
options  USERCONFIG  #boot -c editor
options  VISUAL_USERCONFIG #visual boot -c editor
options  KTRACE   #ktrace(1) support
options  SYSVSHM   #SYSV-style shared memory
options  SYSVMSG   #SYSV-style message queues
options  SYSVSEM   #SYSV-style semaphores
options  P1003_1B  #Posix P1003_1B real-time extentions
options  KBD_INSTALL_CDEV # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options         RANDOMDEV               #entropy device

options  _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options  _KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L
options  SOFTUPDATES
options  NETGRAPH  #netgraph(4) system
options  NETGRAPH_SOCKET
options  NETGRAPH_PPPOE
options  FFS_EXTATTR  #Extended attributes for ACL Capabilities and MAC

device  isa
device  eisa
options  AUTO_EOI_1
options  AUTO_EOI_2
device  eisa
device  pci

# Floppy drives
device  fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device  ata
device  atadisk   # ATA disk drives
device  atapicd   # ATAPI CDROM drives
options  ATA_STATIC_ID  #Static device numbering
options  ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA #Enable DMA on ATAPI devices

# SCSI Controllers
device  ahc  # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
options  AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO

# SCSI peripherals
device  scbus  # SCSI bus (required)
device  da  # Direct Access (disks)
device  cd  # SCSI CD-ROMs
#device  pass  # CAM passthrough driver

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device  atkbdc
device  atkbd
device  psm

device  vga

# splash screen/screen saver
device splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device  sc

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device  npx

# Serial (COM) ports
device  sio

# Parallel port
device  ppc
device  ppbus  # Parallel port bus (required)
device  lpt  # Printer
device  ppi  # Parallel port interface device
options  PPC_PROBE_CHIPSET

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocated.
device loop  # Network loopback
device ether  # Ethernet support
device tun  # Packet tunnel.
device pty  # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device vn  # Vnode driver (turns a file into a device)
device md  # Memory "disks"
device gif 4 # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
#device faith 1 # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

# The `bpf' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
device bpf  #Berkeley packet filter

# For PnP/PCI sound cards
device  pcm
device  sbc