Date:      Sun, 06 Aug 2000 11:50:50 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Dennis Jun <cappy@cr173116-a.etob1.on.wave.home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com 905B & Windows 98 transfer rates

Dennis Jun wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've recently setup a lan at a friend's place consisting of 3 computers: 1
> is FreeBSD (p 100) and 2 are Windows 98 SE (p 200 & p3 450). All of them
> have the 3Com 905B nics in them and he has a Netgear FS 105 switch
> 10/100. I tried transfering some files via ftp from each of the computers
> to each other. When i I transfered from FreeBSD to either of the Windows
> boxes (or the other way around), I only got about 1MBytes/sec, at
> best. When I transfered between the 2 Windows boxes, I got about
> 2MBytes/sec, at best. Now, I know i won't be able to hit 10MBytes/sec even
> though everything is 100Mb, however, those rates seem low. My Windows
> friends told me they get around 4-6MBytes/sec. Furthermore, on my own lan,
> when I transfer between my 2 FreeBSD boxes, I get about 4.5MBytes/sec
> (both with 3Com 905Bs and Netgear 10/100 switch). Furthermore, it is going
> at 100Mbit/sec and full duplex. I can see the lights and I checked with
> ifconfig -a and in control pane with Windows. What am I doing
> wrong? Anyone have any ideas? Much thanx in advance.

Make sure they are all set at full-duplex and 100baseTX. I don't
remember where you check that on Win98se. The auto doesn't always cut
it with switches like Linksys and Netgear. You can't program the
switch to accept something and negotiating aways leave the chance that
it came up in the 10Mb/s setting. You should be able to see that from
the led's on the NIC's. I forced all of my systems to 100baseTX. The
setting on Win98 has to be from either the system applet in the
control panel or the network applet. It would be a resource property
for the 3C905b. FWIW, I get around 8MB/s out of 905b's and around
11-12MB/s on Intel 100+'s. I have two of the Linksys 10/100 switch's.

Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg