Date:      Tue, 08 Aug 2000 16:36:27 +0800
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@svzserv.kemerovo.su>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linking both aout and elf libraries

John Polstra wrote:

> In article <398E9E37.9E3A482B@cequrux.com>, Graham Wheeler
> <gram@cequrux.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to build the system so that a single executable can
> > be linked against both aout format and elf format libraries?

Yes, it is. I have such system. It's 3.5-STABLE.
It has all compatXX installed AND /usr/lib/aout
filled with contents of /usr/lib of living 2.2.8-RELEASE,
here are static a.out libraries  (and another copy of shared :)

Now I can say 'export OBJFORMAT=aout; make'
and get runnable a.out binary. I used this to link my applications
with old commercial a.out libraries that had not new elf variant.

Eugene Grosbein