Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 13:00:04 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        kientzle@acm.org
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, libh@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BOF at BSDCon: FreeBSD Installer, Packages System

Tim Kientzle wrote:

> * ZIP access?  Have you written your own, or just incorporated
>   pre-written libraries?   The official ZIP specification puts
>   all of the archive directory information at the _end_ of the
>   archive; which is not particularly compatible with streaming.
>   (In particular, you can't easily get a list of all files from
>   a streamed archive without simply going through the entire archive;
>   in this respect, ZIP is not an improvement over tar.gz.)

Heh. I also thought the ZIP thing wasn't very well thought out. I wonder
what other formats we could use... ARJ? RAR? LHA?

>   A better approach, in my opinion, is to stick with tar.gz, but
>   with a slight twist: put the manifest/package definition information
>   first (possibly just a free-form text file and/or install script?)
>   followed by the tar.gz data.  That gives you the package/distribution

What this does NOT allow is search a specific point in the archive, and
start reading from there. Granted, this kind of use sucks with streams,
but I gather it is wanted.

> * Consolidating package/distribution formats needs to be done
>   carefully.  In particular, there are different security issues:
>   e.g., packages should generally be prohibited from dropping bits
>   into /bin or /etc.

Non-sense. Packages should do what they are told, period. Do not
"forbid" anything.

Besides, all paths in a package MUST be relative to the base directory.
I might want it installed on /usr/local, /opt, or even /. Thus,
distribution formats need not be any different from package format.

> * An idea that gets floated around periodically, but never apparently
>   taken seriously:  packages should install into private directories.
>   /usr/local is becoming a real tarpit.  Instead, package foo-3.4 should
>   be contained _entirely_ (with few exceptions) in
> /usr/packages/foo-3.4/

Err... no. This is a worse nightmare. Ok, you might disagree. You have
the option of changing the base path of the port to be installed. Write
a shell script that makes the install path get it's name from the port.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

		He has been convicted of criminal possession of a clue with intent to
distribute.

with "unsubscribe freebsd-libh" in the body of the message