Date:      Sat, 04 Nov 2000 04:01:49 -0600
From:      "Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   system files and version control for multiple machines

Does anyone have any tools that they use for maintaining config files for a
bunch of machines? Ideally, for each machine you could have some sort of a
'delta' that contianed whatever custom settings that machine had. This would
be applied to the stock config file that mergemaster/cvsup/whatever gives
you (of course, you'd have to mergemaster to a destination other than / :)
It would also be nice to have a(a bunch of) generic config file(s) for your
network, that would have most of the defaults you like.

         Generic delta file   Machine delta file
                  |                    |             file to get
Base config file -+-> -----------------+---------->  installed in /etc
                                                     or wherever else

You'd also want the capability to use different tools to apply the
delta's... for example, for things like /etc/rc.conf, you could just append
the Machine delta file (which would just be a bunch of sh variable
assignments) to the end of the Generic delta file (again, just sh variable
assignments), and install it to /etc/rc.conf. In this case, the delta files
really wouldn't act as delta's at all. But for something like your kernel
config, you'd probably want to start with GENERIC, sed -e 's///' some
things, and add some other things in. You'd want all this in CVS for sanity,
including the results of mergemaster (and whatever other base files) that
everything is based on.

I'm sure I lost a bunch of people with my long, rambling description here. I
have an idea of how to do this, but I figured it would be worthwhile to get
comments and ideas first. Then I just need to find the time to actually do
it ;)
jim@nasby.net                                               /___\