Date:      Sat, 04 Nov 2000 11:54:17 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Steven Farmer <steve@megahack.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installworld failure - libsdbm.a

Steven Farmer wrote:

> After this morning's cvsup and buildworld, installworld failed trying
> to build libsdbm.a.  I worked around the problem by adding chmod to
> Makefile.inc1 as shown below.  BTW - isn't it kind of wierd for a
> library to be _built_ at installworld time?

Yes, it is. It is supposed to be build in buildworld where is also
chmod'ed appropriately. Something triggers the build during
installworld, which is a place they don't want to add chmod to. I have
had it hit me once. I added chmod to the progs line like you did and
it did the build. I have an idea that something didn't trigger the
build in buildworld and it was needed during the installworld. It has
never been a problem since. I had a patch like you created and ran it
after every cvsup but then I found out that I didn't need it. I
capture the make output for buildworld and installworld and it hasn't
failed since I started doing that.

Kent

> Cheers,
>
> Steve
>
> -----
> ===> gnu/usr.bin/perl/library/SDBM_File
> cd /usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/library/SDBM_File/ext/SDBM_File ; make -B install  INSTALLPRIVLIB=/usr/libdata/perl/5.00503  INSTALLARCHLIB=/usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/mach
> cd sdbm && make all
> rm -rf libsdbm.a
> ar cr libsdbm.a sdbm.o  pair.o  hash.o && : libsdbm.a
> chmod 755 libsdbm.a
> chmod:No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> -----
> %  diff -c /usr/src/Makefile.inc1.orig /usr/src/Makefile.inc1
> *** /usr/src/Makefile.inc1.orig Sat Nov  4 07:27:48 2000
> --- /usr/src/Makefile.inc1      Sat Nov  4 12:14:12 2000
> ***************
> *** 298,304 ****
>   #
>   installworld:
>         mkdir -p ${INSTALLTMP}
> !       for prog in [ awk cat chflags chown date echo egrep find grep \
>             install ln make makewhatis mtree mv perl rm sed sh sysctl \
>             test true uname wc zic; do \
>                 cp `which $$prog` ${INSTALLTMP}; \
> --- 298,304 ----
>   #
>   installworld:
>         mkdir -p ${INSTALLTMP}
> !       for prog in [ awk cat chflags chmod chown date echo egrep find grep \
>             install ln make makewhatis mtree mv perl rm sed sh sysctl \
>             test true uname wc zic; do \
>                 cp `which $$prog` ${INSTALLTMP}; \
> %

Kent Stewart